“If a man today travels to the fastest growing county in the United States, to its fastest growing township, to the largest community located therein, he finds himself standing on a corner in Centereach.” – Senator Leon Giuffreda
Early Days of C.F.D. (1933-1956)
Forest fires were a common occurrence, and at the time there were only four acting fire wardens; George Campbell, Arthur Murray, Bill Wortley and Alvin Smith. In March of 1933 a meeting was held at the “New Village School House” and there a decision was made to establish the Centereach Fire Department.
In 1933 the first firehouse was constructed by local residents and located on the corner of Washington and Elinor streets.
The department began with the original 46 members and one fire truck to respond to calls. Arthur Murray was chosen as the first Chief of the Centereach Fire Department.
Formation of Companies: The first companies were formed in April of 1956 first with Engine Company 1 & Rescue Company 1, soon followed by Engine Company 2 & Fire Police Company in December 1956.
In 1965 the Centereach Fire District area began to grow and and second fire station was needed, Station 2 was built on Stony Brook Road in Lake Grove in 1967 and became the new home of Engine Company 2 .
Hook & Ladder Company 1 was formed in 1969 when the department put in service a 85′ Snorkel.
Engine Company 3 was formed in 1972, Station 3 was built in 1973 at the Department training grounds on North Howell Ave.
In 1976 Hook & Ladder Company 1 & Rescue Company 1 merged to become Emergency Company 1 (later renamed Rescue Company 4 in 2005). 1976 also saw the formation of Ambulance Company, which was our 6th Company until 1995.
New Firehouse: Our present day fire Headquarters construction began in 1976 and was Completed by 1978. At the time of its completion it was one of the largest firehouses on the east coast. The original firehouse was in the location of the current parking lot and was demolished in August of 1978.
Renovations were made to Station 2 in the early 1990’s as well as a new Station 3 that was built in 2005.
Our Department has come a long way since its early days we have gone from 1 small firehouse built by its original members and firetrucks donated by members. Wearing Raincoats and roll up boots, to full bunker gear with Air Packs and special tools, and from an hearse converted into an Ambulance to 4 Ambulance equipped with the latest life saving medical equipment to help save lives.
On September 11th 2001 the Centereach Fire Department members sent help and manpower to aid the New York City area to help in the recovery effort of those lost or missing from the terror attacks on our nation.
Present Day: Today our department has over 200 active members, 5 Companies: Engine Company # 1, Engine Company # 2, Engine & Ladder Company # 3, Rescue Company # 4, and Fire Police Company. We are equipped with a fleet of emergency response vehicles including 5 fire engines, 2 rescue trucks, 4 ambulances, 1 ladder truck, 3 fire police vehicles, 4 Chiefs Vehicles and 2 first response vehicles all housed within the three stations strategically placed to offer equal protection for all of the Centereach residents.
In 2013 the Centereach Fire Department Celebrated its 80th. Our Brave Men & Women will keep volunteering to protect this community 24/7 365 for many years to come.